UAE Transit Visa - Definitive Guide
Be it the UK, USA, African countries, or even EU countries, most of the flights to these places from India involve a stopover or transit at a UAE airport. The usual transits are at Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Sometimes the transits are just for a few hours. However, at other times, they last for more than just a few hours. For an individual to stay in the UAE for more than 8 hours for transit, they require a UAE Transit Visa.
What is UAE Transit Visa?
The transit visa is a single entry visa issued to travellers who have to stay in the UAE for more than 8 hours as a part of airport transit. The transit visas can be issued as two types, 48-hour transit, and 96-hour transit. The transit visa is also an e-visa and should be applied prior to your arrival in the country. However, for people coming from most countries such as the UK, USA, Schengen countries, etc, and GCC countries, they will be issued a UAE transit visa on arrival. With the transit visa, you can explore the cities in the country, meet your friends or family, and even perform business meetings. As a result, the transit visa is also ideal for business persons who require to be in the country only for a few days.
How to Apply for UAE Transit Visa?
Since the UAE Embassy does not issue a visa to the ordinary passport holders, you will have to apply for this visa through a UAE based airlines, travel agencies, or a hotel you are planning to stay at. Once you have decided the mode of application, you can follow the following steps -
- Collect the necessary documents required for the application process.
- Visit the airline/agency/hotel website and fill in the transit visa application form. Alternately, you can visit the nearest travel agency for applying.
- Upload your documents on the respective online portal.
- Pay the fees online.
- Submit the application. Keep a note of any reference number.
Please note that if you are travelling via a Dubai based airline such as Emirates, or Fly Dubai, you can apply through a Dubai Visa Processing Center. Also, a diplomatic or special passport holder must apply through the UAE Embassy in India.
It is extremely important that you fill in the details correctly, and provide with original documents. Any malpractice or mistakes will lead to your visa being delayed or even rejected. A visa rejection is considered a black mark on your travel history and may affect your future applications.
Eligibility for UAE Transit Visa
To be eligible to apply for a transit visa for the UAE, you will need to meet the following criteria -
- You will need to possess a valid ordinary passport.
- You must not be a citizen of the GCC countries or the visa-exempt countries.
- You should have an onward flight from the UAE within the period.
- If your transit is longer than 24 hours, you will need to submit a hotel booking confirmation or a residence proof of the family/friend with whom you will be staying during the period.
When You Have This Visa
Once you obtain your transit visa, keep in mind the following key points -
- You will have to take a print out of your visa and keep it with you as a part of your travel documents.
- Ensure that you have all the necessary travel documents such as passport, identification documents, and visa.
- Note your expiry date as staying back in the country beyond the expiry is a criminal offence and may attract hefty fines and penal action.
- You must travel within 14 days after your visa issue date for 48-hour transit visa, and within 30 days after your issue date for the 96-hour transit visa.
- While on this permit, you can visit any of the different Emirates in the UAE.
- You cannot work while you are on a transit visa. However, you are permitted to participate in business meetings, conferences, etc.
- The UAE is a country that takes the rules very strictly. So, ensure that you obey the laws and regulations while you are in the country.
- Always carry a copy of your visa while you are travelling across the UAE.
Documents Required for a Transit Visa for UAE
As per the UAE Transit Visa requirements, the following documents are required for the application -
- A passport valid for up to 6 months from the date of travel
- Colour copies of the passport
- 2 identical passport size photographs
- Confirmed flight tickets including the onward journey
Photo Specification of UAE Transit Visa
- Dimensions: 35mm X 45mm
- Colour: Coloured in white background
- Head must occupy the central position
- Must be recent
- 80% face coverage with a neutral expression
- Glasses: Non-thick framed and prescription are permitted
- Headgears are allowed only for religious reasons
UAE Transit Visa Processing Time
The UAE Transit Visa for Indian citizen is usually processed in about 3-4 working days. However, the time can vary based on several other factors such as the duration, type of passport, etc. Alternately, if you have opted for an express visa, you will get the permit faster. If you submit documents such as your previous travel history to the UAE, invitation letter from a resident living in the country, travel history for UK, USA, Schengen countries, etc, in the last 5 years; Your chances of getting the visa will improve as well as a faster processing.
UAE Transit Visa Fees
The fees for UAE visa for transit depends on numerous aspects such as the speed of processing, the type of permit, service charges, and so on. There could also be additional charges based on the mode of application.
|Single entry Normal||4 days||58 days||4800.0|
|Single entry Express||4 days||58 days||6300.0|
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive the e-visa on your registered email. Upon receipt of this, you should take a print out of the visa, and also send this to the flight operator you are using to book your flight. This is necessary for them to issue an ‘OK to Board’ (if required) with your ticket number. India is one of the countries that need this to be done.
How to Check Visa Status
You can track the status of your visa by simply logging on to the online portal of the airline you have applied through. Alternately, you can contact your travel agency or hotel through which you have applied. If you have applied for the visa to Dubai through DVPC, you can track the status using a reference number and the passport expiry date.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Extend My UAE Transit Visa?
The transit permit, be it 48-hr or 96-hr, are both non-extendable and non-renewable. As a result, you cannot extend these. You will have to apply for a new one if you require to stay longer. In all other cases, you must leave the country when your permit expires.
After Expiring My UAE Transit Visa How Long Can I Stay?
Once your permit has expired, you cannot stay any longer in the UAE. The transit visa is non-extendable. As a result, you must leave the country upon expiry. Staying back after this period is considered as an offence and can lead to deportation or hefty fines.
What is the Medical Test for UAE Transit Visa?
Since this type of the short duration permit is only for a few days, there is no mandatory medical test requirements. However, it is suggested that you get a medical check-up done before travelling to a foreign country.
Can I Convert My UAE Transit Visa into Work Permit?
No, you cannot convert the transit into a work permit. The 48-hr, and 96-hr permits are non-convertible. As a result, you must leave the country upon expiry of your transit visa. If you do need a work permit, you may apply for a new one once you are back in your home country.